B:Guess what! I know something you don't know!
你猜怎么着?我知道一些你不知道的事!
L:What's that?
什么事?
B:How many planets are there in the solar system?
你知道太阳系有多少行星吗?
L:That's easy. Everyone knows that there are nine.
很简单,大家都知道有九大行星。
B:Not anymore! Can you believe it? They've decided that Pluto is not a planet anymore!
现在可不是啦!你相信吗?他们决定取消冥王星的行星资格了。
L:Nice try. I wasn't born yesterday, you know.
想得美。别哄我了,我又不是三岁小孩。
B:I'm dead serious. They've decided that it's too small to be a planet, but actually they haven't yet agreed on how big something has to be in order to be a planet anymore.
我是认真的。他们认为冥王星太小了,不够做行星的资格,不过他们尚未对行星的体积究竟该有多大达成一致的意见。
L:That sounds crazy. But they can't just change their mind about things like that.
这听起来简直是疯了!他们不能对这种事情随便乱改主意。
B:Yes, they can. If you remember correctly, people used to believe that the world was flat.
是的,他们可以。如果你还记得的话,以前人们曾经以为地球是平的。
L:I suppose you're right. They also used to think that they were so important that the sun revolved around them, not the other way around.
我觉得你说得有道理。他们过去还认为人类是特别重要的,以至于太阳都是围绕着我们转的,不存在其他运行的方式。
B:We actually know relatively little about space and the cosmos.
可能事实上我们对空间和宇宙的了解只是非常有限的一点点。
L:Do you think that we'll one day be able to travel to another planet for a vacation?
你觉得未来我们有可能去其他星球度假吗?
B:I suppose we could actually live on a planet outside of the milky way.
我想我们可以居住在银河系以外的其他星球上。
L:Do you think we'll ever get to meet an alien from outer space?
你觉得咱们会在外太空遇到外星人吗?
B:I hope not. I think they would be a threat to those of us that lived on the Earth.
我希望不会。我觉得他们可能对生活在地球上的人类是一种威胁。
L:You're so old-fashioned. That's what people used to think about people from another country!
你的思想可太老派了。这就好像人们以前对外国人的看法一样!
B:Point taken. Hopefully one day, we'll live in an interplanetary society.
知道啦.希望未来有一天,我们能生活在一个行星际的社会里。
2025国考·省考课程试听报名