A:if you can choose, will you marry a foreigner or a Chinese?如果让你选的话,你是愿意嫁给一个中国人还是一个外国人?
B:why? Did tom pop the question?为什么这么问,汤姆向你求婚了吗?
A:not yet. But I wonder if I can get my parents’ consent.没有,我怕父母不同意。
B:let me guess, your parents want you to marry a Chinese man, right?我猜猜,你父母一定是想你嫁一个中国人,对吗?
A:you are right. It is giving me a real headache. I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place.是啊,我正头疼呢,我觉得左右为难。
B:I used to have the same problem when I was with my ex.我和以前的男朋友谈恋爱时,也遇到了同样的问题。
A:oh, how did you deal with it?那你怎么解决的?
B:I just let it go and continued dating with my Korean boyfriend. But finally we broke up.我就顺其自然,继续和我的韩国男朋友约会,但是后来我们还是分手了。
A:oh, it’s a pity. What was the matter?太可惜了,为什么啊?
B:simple. We had personality clashes and there were too many cultural differences.很简单,我们性格不合,双方文化也有很多不同之处。
A:like what?比如呢?
B:he hoped to live in the Korean way and asked me to give up working and stay at home to take care of the family.他希望我过韩式的生活,要求我放弃工作,安心待在家里。
A:Oh, I see. In their culture women should put family first.这样啊,在他们的文化里,女性应该以家庭为重。
B:yes, he said it would be batter for me and for the whole family. But I simply can not quit working.是啊,他说这样对我,对整个家庭都好。但是我就是不想辞掉工作。
A:so that's why it’s hard to have a happy marriage with a foreigner.所以和外国人结婚,很难幸福。
B:not really. There are many successful mixed marriage around us.也不一定,我们周围不也有很多成功的例子嘛。