A:I have a real problem when I meet people.
我在和人会面的时候有个问题。
B:What is it? Maybe I can help.
什么疑问?或许我能帮你。
A:I never know when to shake hands and when not to. Can you tell me something about it?
我不知道该在什么时候握手,什么时候不握手。你能不能告诉我有关这方面的事?
B:Do you come from a country where they shake hands?
你们国家的人握手吗?
A:Oh yes. Men, women, and children shake hands all the time.
握呀。男人、女人、小孩、时时刻刻都在握手。
B:It’s very simple. Men shake hands, women and children don’t.
那很简单。男人握手,女人和小孩不握。
A:But some women do shake hands. And now a lot of children have such good manners, they shake hands too.
可是有些女人也握手呀。而且现在很多有礼貌的孩子也握手。
B:Well, a good rule to follow is, for men you hold out your hand, for women and children, you wait and see what they do.
你就遵循这条原则:对男人你先伸手,对女人和孩子就看他们怎么做。
A:That sounds easy enough.
这听上去再简单不过了。
B:Sure. Once you get the hang of it, it’s a piece of cake! It’s nothing to worry about.
可不是嘛。你一旦掌握了窍门,那就成了小菜一碟!没什么可担心的。